Saturday, April 2, 2011

Anniversary

Today Joel and I celebrated our 6th wedding anniversary.  It seems like just yesterday that we got married on that beautiful April day.  It was warm and sunny even though the forecasters said it was going to snow.  We were surrounded by friends and family to celebrate one of the best days of our life.

Fastforward four years.  On this day in 2009, we met Gus' birthfather.  I mentioned it before on this blog but did not go into any detail.  The reason we met with "K" was because he was reconsidering his parental rights.  Unlike birthmothers, the birthfather can sign off his rights before the baby is born.  He was considering the option of raising the unborn baby.  We met with K and our social worker, Dawn.  We all sat at a table in a little conference room.  I was sweating....I felt sick to my stomach.  What if this man did change his mind?  How would my legs even carry me out of this building before I collapsed to the ground in an unconsolable heap? How would I ever be able to celebrate my anniversary again since all I would ever remember is what happened on this day?  I watched in awe as Dawn spoke to K.  That woman is worth her weight in gold!!  I would have paid her a million dollars for her work on that day alone.  She was able to facilitate conversation between the three of us and make us all feel more comfortable with one another.  He shared some things about his life that he wanted to make sure that we shared with Gus one day.  Long story short, we had a successful meeting that day and K ended up signing later that week.  We never saw or heard from K after that.  And I am sure that we probably never will.  Not sure how I feel about that....I think that is something for me to investigate further some other day.

Move forward to today...today was delightful.  It was relaxing.  I did some organizing in my craft/Thirty-One room.  I wrote some thank you notes.  I packaged up some items to be mailed out to friends.  Joel and Gus went grocery shopping together today and left me in an empty, quiet house.  This was one of the first days that I had that was free of any plans.  LOVED it!  I loved getting to just relax and hangout with my boys.  Gus was full of energy and full of giggles.  Such a fun day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...