Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Breakin' Up Is Hard To Do

I was very lucky to exposed to a lot of music growing up. My dad was a band director and made sure that my sister and I were exposed to the many different classical pieces out there. It was because of this that music was very important to me at my wedding. I remember sitting in my parents kitchen agonizing over which Bach, Handel or Mozart piece would be played as I walked down the aisle with my dad. And what would be played when I walked back with my new husband. Not to mention, I was having a brass quartet so I needed to make sure it sounded good with the brass instruments. I certainly hope that my children get as many opportunities as possible to experience the classical music that their Papa taught to many others.

By I must admit....I love, love, love the classic renderings of the 1950s, 60s and 70s! Those tunes are all so catchy! My mom made sure that my sister and I were exposed to "oldies" music every time we were in the car together. We didn't have DVD players and other crazy technology in the car that kids have today....but we sure were entertained. To this day, you could probably play the first few notes of an oldies song and my sister and I could belt out the rest of the song. I was probably in 6th grade before I knew that there were other radio stations than "107.3...all oldies, all the time!". (And that is only because I was introduced to the oh so popular New Kids on The Block.)

I make sure to play a variety of music in the car for Gus, but I must admit that I often sing to him when we aren't in the car. I like to change some of the lyrics to fit what is going on. My favorite is "Splish Splash". Very appropriate for bath time. Or "Great Balls of Fire" comes in handy sometimes. My friend, Tanya, and I always say that when something bad happens or you are going nuts, you have to choose to laugh or cry. Well sometimes I choose to sing. My version when I am on my last nerve:

"You shake my nerves and you rattle my brain
Too much crazy drives a mom insane
You broke my will, oh please sit still
Goodness, gracious great balls of fire"

I am sure that with his exposure to oldies music, Gus will be adapting his own tune tonight when he goes to bed. I am sure he will be channeling Neil Sedaka and one of his most popular tunes....




Gus and his nunny (aka. pacifier) will be breaking up tonight. I am sure this will not go over very well. He has had a nunny every night of his life since the day that he was born....all 22 months. He doesn't use it all night long....just to fall asleep. He has had his nunny about 8 months longer than the pediatrician wanted him to have it so in my opinion we spoiled this kid. So as you are sitting down to relax or laying down to go to bed...you can chuckle to yourself thinking about a little boy standing in his crib singing about losing his love, his nunny. Or perhaps he will sing the Lesley Gore hit, "It's My Party". But it may go something like this: "Miss my nunny and I'll cry if I want to, cry if I want to....you would cry too if it happened to you!!"


Yes, I may seem callous about it right now, but with all things, there is usually an end and he will get over it....eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...