Friday, February 4, 2011

Does adoption change your family?

Today I was approached by a freshman in our building.

"Hey!  You and your husband adopted a baby, right?"

"Yes, we did."

"Can I ask you a question?  How did it change your family?"

I was at a loss for words for a minute.  First of all I was so taken off guard but I immediately became curious as to why she was asking.  Turns out that her parents are planning to adopt through foster care.  They are looking to adopt a girl between the ages of 9 and 12.  After she told me this, I realized that she was nervous and insecure about her place in the family once someone new entered their home. (At that point, we went into the counseling office so that we could chat privately.)

But her question still sits on my heart tonight.  How did adoption change our family?  Truth be told...it didn't change our family at all.  It made us a family!  It made me a momma!  I am sure that when we add number two, our family will change but that will have nothing to do with adoption and everything to do with having another baby in the house.  So does adoption change a family??  In my opinion, no.  But did Gus change my life?  Absolutely!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...