Saturday, October 24, 2009

The end...


Last night marked the end of the Flat Rock football season.  (Above is Joel and fellow coach, John Lawson.)  I would be lying if I said that I wasn't jumping up and down about it!  We had some of the yuckiest weather for football games this year.  I sat through a handful of games in the rain this year looking like a drowned rat. 

For some reason though, this was an emotional evening for me.  We had "parents night" where the parents walk their kids out onto the field and all I could think about was how someday I would be walking my kid out onto a field and he would be playing his last football game and then he would leave the field in tears like many of our seniors did last night.  But I suppose if Gus wants to be a tap dancer instead of a football player then he won't have that problem.  One more reason for him to be a tap dancer...





I was surprised to see that my husband had a tough time last night.  Joe Conner even got a few tears out of Joel when he hugged him (above).  Joel can identify so much with how these boys were feeling.  He felt that way when he finished playing football in high school and then again when he finished in college.  But for some reason, this group of seniors was special to Joel and he had a strong bond with a couple of them.  Joel has coached most of the seniors since they were pint-sized little 7th graders and has been with them ever since.  He is extemely proud of them and how hard they have worked since they first suited up for him in 7th grade.  It made me laugh last night when one of the seniors said to Joel, "Thanks for everything Coach!  Your the one who taught me how to put the pads into these pants."  It makes me chuckle because I remember when Joel quit coaching Varsity and went to coach at the middle school.  He talked about how funny it was that there was such a big difference between the two levels...at the middle school, he had to teach kids how to put the uniform on!!  It is hilarious to me that it has come full circle and one of the kids remembered that!  "Football season is over....time to get ready for your winter sports, boys!"



Topo, Danny, Koby, Vroman, Stape, Joe and Jake



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...